Rick was born in Longview, attended elementary schools here before graduating from R.A. Long High School with honors. He played clarinet in the R.A.L. band, and marching band, for 3 years. Upon graduation he attended Reed College, graduating in 1975 with a B.A. degree in philosophy. Rick then entered Willamette University earning a “Doctor of Jurisprudence” degree and was licensed to practice law in Alaska, Washington and Oregon.
Ricks professional career was as follows:
- Private law practice in Alaska
- Joined Longview Fibre Company in 1988 as General Counsel
- Production Manager for the Western Container Division of Longview Fibre Co.
- Appointed Senior V.P., Director, and member of the Executive Committee
- President for all Manufacturing, sales and timberland for LFCO.
- Longview Fibre Company’s Chief Executive Officer, President and Chairman of the Board
Professional organizations include:
- Board of Trustrees of Reed College
- C.E.O Environmental and Sustainable Forestry Committee
- Board of Trustees, World Forestry Center and Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
- Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI)
Other Boards include:
- Columbia Theater for Performing Arts
- United Way
- Longview Y.M.C.A.
- Peace Health (St. Johns)
- Wollenberg Foundation (which gives generously to local schools)
Rick’s family includes his wife Barbara (married since 1981), a daughter Erica who teaches school in Seaside, Oregon and a son Jeffery, a flight instructor in Bellingham, WA. Siblings include R.A. Long graduates Ken 1961, David 1965, Keith 1969 and Carol 1972. When Rick is not doing volunteer work in the community he can be found on the slopes exercising his passion skiing.